Blood Moon

2015 09 27 eclipse 015

In less than a minute, the moon took on an orange hue as it rose over the Wet Mountains and shone down on Main Street.

A poem written by W.S. Merwin and  published today on the Poetry Foundation website says it better than I can. In particular the lines, “We are running out of the glass rooms / with our mouths full of food to look at the sky / and say thank you.”

Walking from the new Second Street Kitchen on Sunday where we dined on scrumptious food prepared by Marian Williams, we were most definitely looking at the sky as we made our way to Dark Skies Observatory and the telescope donated by Jim Bradburn.

Do you feel the

Do you feel the “Sleepy Hollow” vibe?

Not to diminish the natural phenomenon of the night sky and the eclipse, but for me, the most amazing sight was the number of people who came to The Bluff. Standing in awe and rubbing shoulders with their neighbors, they came with blankets and pillows and lounge chairs and cameras. More than a few brought telescopes from home.

Yes, the observatory was the draw, but the sky watchers spread out the entire north/south length of The Bluff, and the number of people, united in their wonder, coalesced into one star-struck organism. It was “a happening.”

What a pleasant break from the divisiveness of politics!

The hay bales... close to

The hay bales… close to “Central Park 3024.”

Like every other leaf-peeper, I’ve been out with my camera catching the golden Aspen before a storm litters the leaves. So many shades of green! So many shades of gold and buff and tan. I did not have the vocabulary. Unable to describe the varied green blocks of  freshly mown hay fields interspersed with patchwork blocks of a drier landscape, I went to ACE. Surely I could match the landscape to the  color swatches at the hardware store.

Apple tart 2062, Caribou 2064, Sandpoint 2066, and Golden Wheat 2068 were all close color candidates. Based on these descriptions, I hope you can see what I saw. You can’t? The names mean nothing to you? The Golden Wheat is darker than it should be. That piece of information should be helpful. As for the others, go to Ace. Check out the Clark Kensington collection.

2015 09 22 color 003

14 Responses to Blood Moon

1. Brent Bruser says:

Lovely

2. Dianne Shanks says:

thank you! beautiful

It was beautiful, Dianne. We experienced that good-neighbor feeling with Ride the Rockies, but to some extent, that feeling was orchestrated. In the case of the Bluff “happening,” it just happened. It was a Wow moment.

3. Annie says:

I love this. I love your blog. I look forward to reading it every time. Keep writing! And thank you.

4. Robyn Wallerich says:

We couldn’t be there. Thanks for being our eyes and ears!

Dear Robyn, Between your schedule/life and ours, we can’t seem to connect in person. How sad is that. People we care about are the only buffer that we have between sanity and the world-at-large.

5. James says:

Littered leaves-lovely🍃🍃🍃

Thank you for reading, James. Why are we all so busy? I am still hoping to have a RTR team dinner before the snow flies. Or maybe not. I miss the team – thank you for chairing the event.

6. Bar Scott says:

incredible photo, Doris. I can’t believe we missed this. The gathering we went to, scheduled months ago, didn’t have a view….:(

Thanks for everything. Bar

Your photos too, Bar. As you know, most good photos are just a matter of luck and always having the camera with you. The minute that I leave the camera home, I see something worth recording.

7. PJ Bindley says:

Wow! Just wow!

The WOW part of the evening was seeing such a diverse group of people all united on The Bluff looking at the moon and stars. xo