Caution, Mr. President!

dscn3979

Dear President Trump,

dscn3976Watching you drive full speed ahead, threading the needle between slower, more cautious drivers, I flash back to conversations I had with my father who continued to drive well into his mental decline. Before his death, I remember begging, “You have no business behind the wheel of a car. If you want to take your own life that is one thing, but you are putting all other drivers at-risk. If you cross the median strip and head into on-coming traffic, you will die, and you may well take innocent people with you.”

The car analogy continues: You, Mr. Trump, are definitely at the wheel. As annoying as a back-seat-drivers are, sometimes they give useful advice. If you could convince a career professional from the State Department to ride with you, his or her advice would slow you down.

dscn3980The power of the presidency has turbo-charged your ego. The soft-top of your sports car is down; the wind duck-tails your hair; and your foot is on the gas. You are in control; both hands are on the wheel; and you have no intention of taking the pulse of the nation. If you were my father (highly unlikely in that I am older than you are) I would give you the same advice I gave my dad: “Take your foot off the gas. Slow down. Let go of your ego!”

Unfortunately, you are no longer Chief Executive Officer of Trump Enterprises. In accepting the presidency, you gave up your high-stakes, winner-take-all position. Taking risks (an aphrodisiac of sorts) is not longer acceptable.

It is in your best interest to slow down.

Driving at excessive speed  and taking no heed of warning signs is dangerous and is not in your best interest. Acting alone in a “my way or the highway” mode will lead to your failure and puts the citizenry of the United States at-risk.

dscn3981

14 Responses to Caution, Mr. President!

1. H Brent Bruser says:

Pretty much a perfect analogy. Also, he’s driving with a learner’s permit.

Sent from my iPhone

I beg to differ, Brent. Despite his very good brain, I don’t think he has a learner’s permit. Before you get the permit, you have to pass a written test.

2. Anne Relph says:

Well done Annr r

Sent from my iPhone

3. 2000detours says:

I’m pretty sure that steep road sign is the same one my husband and I passed in our SUV the day our brakes decided to fail. It was pretty exciting stuff, but I really don’t want be on that ride for the next four years.

Highway 96, before paving called “The Hardscrabble,” and now paved is still called the hardscrabble. It gets your attention – especially in snow and ice. Driving at dawn and dusk is cautious because of the deer and Big Horn sheep. That said, it is a beautiful drive and I never take it for granted.

4. Yep, Doris, a perfect analogy. He should at least get a speeding ticket; no, maybe a DUI. He’s definitely under the influence, maybe not of alcohol, but definitely of evil people. His license should be revoked.

Mark and I both think that Trump is under the influence. We are not sure of his drug of choice. Cough syrup sounds too benign. I agree: “his license should be revoked!” My knee is hanging in there – looking forward to hiking season.

5. Doris, wonderful photos to illustrate your words. Driving around in your country seems to be full of danger. Helga

We live, Helga, in a valley between two mountain ranges. If you want to drive either east or west, you face some steep grades. Luckily, at this point, retired as we are, we can choose when to leave town. It is a beautiful drive. I would love to show it to you. xo

6. Dina Pohanish says:

Hi Doris, This blog is fantastic. You should submit it to NY TIMES and WASHINGTON POST and any other widely read and respected newspaper. xoxo Dina

________________________________

Thanks for reading, Dina. I enjoy the challenge of matching photos to text. As for my readership, I would like to increase my numbers, but I’m not good at promotion – a hangover from the 50s when my mother (and most mothers in the 50s) urged me to keep my head down and not think too highly of myself.

7. Caroline Vornberg says: